vicky's blog

well.. this is moi blog... some stuff to share...moi thoughts n feelings... n the goodness of GOD

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Kiasu-ism – A Singaporean Syndrome?

Its 8:40am!!!! I’m in the library blogging… what the heck you might be thinking… well, I was suppose to study but the sight I witness just now was just too horrifying that I got to get it out of my mind fast!!!

I reached school at about 7:35am… for the first time in 4 years that I have ever been so early… I wanted to go to the library for it was stated that it will open at 7:30am from 07 April 2005, which is today… apparently, the staff decided only to open the doors at the usual time slot – 8:30am…

I have nothing against you if you come early… at about 8:15am many students started climbing up the stairs leading to the entrance… students in front, fearing that they might lose out edge forward every few minutes… it like legion of predators moving forward to a prey… if you saw Constantine… it was just like how the demons trying to move closer and closer to Constantine when he went down to hell… many more students came at around 8:25am and squeeze all the way to near the library entrance… HELLO!!! Does getting in first make you score all distinctions???

By 8:30am there was almost 100 students waiting at the entrance… if you are not a NTU student, you might not know that the library has 2 doors, one for entry and the other for exit… when the library staff came out from the exit door to open the entry door, there are students already trying to make their way through the exit door… they squeeze and push and some even tried to open the door so wide I was afraid that they will tear down the door…

Within 5mins of opening, all the tables were taken up… big tables, single seaters… all occupied by BAGS… apparently, after their conquest, almost everyone decides to take a break by going for breakfast and leaving their ‘trophies’ guarded using their personal items… if you are to come 5 mins late, the place you can use would be the computer terminals…

What can I conclude from the above scenario? Is Kiasu-ism a Singaporean Syndrome… the answer would be a BIG FLAT NO!!!

The students that were “queuing” up include China Nationals, Malaysians and Singaporeans… The worst students I observed are those from China… they are not the earliest to arrive but they edge to the front and started the entry through the exit door... and the only people I didn't see? Indians...

As for me, I am glad I have found a table… to be called my own for today…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home